Friday, March 27, 2009

My First Quilt

"Winter's First Snowball"
Size: 30 1/2" x 39 1/2"
Completed: February 2004
Made in Bellingham, WA
Machine pieced and quilted on a Pfaff Hobby 301
This quilt now hangs in my sewing room.

The story: In January 2004 I took my first quilting class - a series of I think 4 or 6 evening classes. It was for beginners and I was definitely a beginner. The class was taught by Nancy at Fourth Corner Quilts in Bellingham, WA. The photos are not great and I wish I had a better camera or lighting to really show the colors, but oh well.

When selecting my fabric I first chose the fabric for the large snowballs and then tried to match all the others. I have learned A LOT about fabric selection since then. And I would not love this quilt if it weren't for the fact that it was my first. I learned so much - most importantly that I HATE hand sewing binding! I quickly figured out how to do it by machine. It may be cheating, but I don't care.

Not bad for my first 1/2 square triangles.

Just a close-up to see some of the quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment